Friday, May 4, 2018

Spring is here, and it's Tulip Time!



Greetings! I've been incredibly busy in my gardens for the past couple of weeks, now that the snows have stopped and beautiful spring weather is finally here. I'm making all sorts of changes to my gardens -- getting rid of some, adding a major new garden area -- but I did manage to take time to enjoy the spring bulbs that are blooming everywhere. Here are a few scenes:


Another shot from my Front Border.

Orange Princess double late tulips in my Scented Garden around the East Patio.

Mixed Darwin hybrid tulips in the Mint Circle.



And about those changes I've been making in my gardens, here's one major change: I've eliminated the front curvy flower border section of my North Border. I (and my husband) removed the sod from my new garden area and moved it here, after I dug out all the plants and moved them to other borders or to put in the new area:

You can see the lighter colored sod in what was the front curvy section of my North Border. No more flowers in that section, only the evergreen back part of the border remains.

It's been a chore trying to keep the transplanted sod watered in the hot, windy days that we've been having here recently. But we got two inches of much-needed rain over the past couple of days, which I think will help the grass establish in its new home.

And I will reveal my major new garden area in my next post, I promise (it's still very much "under construction," in the hardscape stage, and not much to look at yet).

I hope you have been enjoying many beautiful days in your own gardens too, now that winter is finally and blessedly behind us. Thanks for reading! -Beth

10 comments:

  1. Things are looking beautiful in your garden! I am looking forward to seeing the new garden. Sounds intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, Thanks! -- I can't wait for the new area to be done. Hope you are enjoying many beautiful days in your lovely gardens too, Best, -Beth

      Delete
  2. Hi Beth! Your garden is looking really lovely. I am so envious that you can grow tulips. I can only grow them if I force them for inside. They are such a sure sign of spring in the garden and I really love those Orange Princess Doubles! 😍. Look forward to seeing your new area!
    - Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, Aren't there some pre-chilled tulip bulbs you can buy and plant outside? I know some people in the South do that, although perhaps that wouldn't work down in Florida for some reason... I know nothing about gardening in Florida. Anyway, thanks for reading! Best, -Beth

      Delete
  3. Your spring garden looks lovely, a fabulous tulip display. How exciting having a new project. I am never happier than when I am digging up a new part of my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chloris, Thanks! I'm sure your own many tulips are looking wonderful this time of year too, and I look forward to seeing them in your posts. Thanks for stopping by! Best, -Beth

      Delete
  4. You have been working out your new plans, a lot of work but I suppose so satisfying. And....after the snow an explosion of flowers, lovely, let's enjoy.
    regards, Janneke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janneke, yes, here's to no more snow till next winter. I hope things are going well in your own beautiful gardens; thanks for stopping by! Best, -Beth

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy reading about your projects! Your tulips are looking wonderful. It's been a trying spring here in the UK - farmers say the worst in 40 years - but the tulips have been lovely. If you want to see, here are some of mine:

    https://thepleasuregardener.blog/

    Now, I wonder what your major new garden area is? :~))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jo -- I see from your other comment that our minds think alike about Monty Don's garden ideas. So glad for the link to your blog! Best, -Beth

      Delete