Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Where the #$%@ is spring??

Another 1-3 inches of snow again?!


The forecast calls for snow again tomorrow! This will be the fourth time it has snowed here in the past two weeks. The average last snow date in this part of Iowa is around the end of March, which isn't to say that it never snows in April -- just not four times! And April 18th is getting to be pretty late in April for snow -- by this time last year, temperatures were nearly 80°F.

But I'm hopeful that this will be the last time it snows this spring, and that warmer days are coming after tomorrow. The ten-day forecast looks pretty good: mostly sunny and temperatures in the 50s and 60s, which is what they should be in mid-April.

Despite the frequent bouts of snow, a few stalwart bulbs have been blooming, although not completely unaffected by the unusually cold temperatures:


Daffodils next to the house in a south-facing border.

More daffs on the east side of our house.

Some hyacinths are blooming in the North Border, although I think the cold has stunted their growth. They're only a few inches tall and look ridiculously stubby. But they still smell nice though, way down next to the ground.

These crown imperial fritillarias are similarly afflicted -- not quite blooming yet, but still only about ten inches in height. They don't smell as nice as the hyacinths. :-)

I'm hoping that the sun and warmth will encourage more perennials and bulbs to emerge from the ground. Things are definitely coming up in some areas, but not everything yet, and not everywhere.

It's not just that I want to enjoy warm spring days -- although I do, of course. But also, I'm itching to get started on the new garden area that I'm planning. And I can't do that until I can move some perennials and late bulbs around, which I can't do until they're all up and I can see where they are. It's kind of frustrating -- I feel sure you understand.

Plus, I'm also worried that I have so many things that I want to do in the gardens this spring, and that despite the late start to spring, it will still get too hot to work outside comfortably, and move plants safely, by the end of May as usual. We may only have a five week window to work, which sounds like an awfully short time to get everything done.

I have already been able to work outside a few times this spring. Several days in March were nice enough to start cutting back and raking out borders. And then last Thursday was the first pleasant day since March: 75° and sunny! It was a glorious respite from the cold (but alas, followed by more cold, rain and snow last weekend). I did get quite a bit done (and enjoyed being outside doing it) on that beautiful day, though.

And today was pretty nice, nearly 50° and sunny, so I pruned my roses and did a few other things outside. With any luck, there'll be more days like today later in the week, and I'll soon be able to get started on my garden plans, which I will tell you about in a post soon.

I hope you are finally enjoying some warmer days in in your own gardens, and spring is arriving for you with beautiful weather and many spring flowers. Thanks for reading! -Beth




10 comments:

  1. I know! This spring has been, well, not very spring-like! We had snow the other day as well. Tomorrow's forecast for us is thankfully just rain, but I'm still waiting for that good gardening weather for our projects, too. Spring has to come sometime, right? Hopefully we all won't go crazy from cabin fever before then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we both get some nice warm sunny spring days to enjoy working outside, Indie. Hang in there! Thanks for stopping by, -Beth

      Delete
  2. Ugh, don't say such things like that it will still get so hot so suddenly. I can't handle that thought right now. We're getting some nice daytime highs, but the nights are keeping me from planting out. I was supposed to plant out this weekend, but it'll be more like mid week after they've had a chance to get used to nights now.

    I was out in the cutting garden this afternoon after school and I heard the bees out buzzing in the peach tree there. It was nice to hear things moving again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brother Placidus, It sounds like you must be a little warmer than us here -- I've only seen a few bees, on the hyacinths last Thursday. I'm sure it will be warm enough for you to plant outside next week, and who knows how soon the heat of summer will come? Thanks for reading! Best, -Beth

      Delete
  3. Hello Beth,

    I'm glad I found your blog. Wonderful !! lovely photos !
    I started some time ago with my blog, garden & photography.
    Wish you a nice day !
    Els (http://www.pixelshoot.eu)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Els, Thanks for stopping by and letting me know about your blog -- your garden photography is beautiful! Best Regards, -Beth

      Delete
  4. This has been a tough beginning of spring, Beth. My garden has, finally, started to perk up but everything is about a month behind. I share your fears that we may have 'instant' summer making it uncomfortable to work outside. I'm intrigued by your crown imperial fritillarias and will Google to see what they look like in bloom. I'm adding fritillarias to my garden this fall. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I'm glad to hear things are finally showing signs of spring for you, and I hope we're both wrong about instant summer. The C.I. fritillarias are a very interesting plant, although they're abit finicky and not all the ones I've planted have come up. I hope they do well in your gardens. Thanks for stopping by! -Beth

      Delete
  5. I am thankful that we were not covered with snow in April....March dumped an unexpected 4 ft throughout the month but April was bitter cold with snow but it didn't stick for more than a days or 2 with a couple of inches at a time. But all this winter weather has put my blooms 3 weeks behind which I guess is lucky as my blooms were not out yet to be frozen. Hoping spring is catching up with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, Good grief! 4 feet(!) of snow in March? Well, I'm sure glad that's behind you, and I feel sure you are now enjoying lovely spring days in your gardens. Thanks for reading, -Beth

      Delete