Friday, August 17, 2018

My latest (crazy?) defense against Japanese beetles

The butterflies are magical, but they're not my only garden visitors....


It's official: the Japanese beetles are out of control. They're ruining my roses, hollyhocks and other flowers. I know they'll be gone before too much longer, but they've been absolutely horrendous this year and I don't see them being any better in future years.

I didn't mind them so much when I had few roses near my house, but now when I sit in my new Paradise Garden each evening surrounded with roses and other flowers, seeing the damage and ugly clusters of beetles really bothers me. I think my new garden is probably the nicest garden I have ever made, and I'm not going to give it up or stop growing roses in it, so what to do?


It's magical in the evenings, filled with butterflies, hummingbirds and scented flowers. The JBs hadn't gotten this rosebud yet for some reason -- but the next day it was destroyed.


This climbing rose growing on the arch over my front gate was repulsive! This foul sight greeted me every time I came home until I pruned the plant down almost to the ground in disgust.

My 'Sharifa Asma' rose, known for its scent and
beauty, was utterly defiled by the disgusting beasts.

Even the marigolds planted in my Paradise Garden weren't immune -- I was surprised, as they have long been thought to act as a repellent to other insects. But the JBs love them (although they don't seem to cause as much damage to the leaves and flowers as they do on roses).



Last month, I posted about the Japanese beetle problem, and at that point I felt pretty hopeful about my efforts to control them, but I think that was unrealistic:

1. Every evening I walk around with a container of warm soapy water and use a butter knife to knock off as many JBs as I can find into the container. This does seem to somewhat reduce the damage done by them, and it makes me feel better -- but this is not how I want to spend so much time in my gardens.

2. I don't want to use systemic insecticides because I don't want to hurt the bees, and they only reduce the problem anyway, not eliminate it. So instead, I sprayed an organic pyrethrin-based insecticide at dusk, after bees go to sleep. The pyrethrin did kill the JBs that were on the plants -- the ground under the roses was littered with their bodies the next day. But more showed up the next day and didn't seem to be affected by the residue. Also, it made my Paradise Garden smell like insecticide, not sweetly-scented flowers. Yuck.

3. I planned to treat my lawn for JB grubs this month to try to reduce their future numbers. But my two acres of lawn would have cost probably $150 to treat, twice a year, and I found out that the JBs can fly 3-5 miles, so more will simply come from miles away. Useless.

4. I treated my lawn with milky spore treatment about five years ago, but I've read that studies have shown it doesn't work very well. Ditto nematodes.

5. I wondered if a simple repellent existed, and I was excited to read that steeping red cedar planks in hot water would yield a spray that some people swore by -- free and easy! I tried it and I could certainly smell the cedar spray -- but the JBs didn't seem to mind it at all, and in fact the three test plants I sprayed had even more beetles the next day. Aaggh!

*****************************

I apologize for my pessimistic attitude, but the more I research Japanese beetles, the worse this story gets -- next year and every year after that will probably be just as bad, if not worse. And my aesthetic problems with them pale in comparison to others' more serious problems. They cause millions of dollars in damage to crops and ornamental plants; last year, an Iowa winery lost $20,000 of their grape crop to the buggers. They're also destroying milkweed habitats that monarch butterfly populations depend on to survive. They only arrived in my area about a decade ago, and didn't seem so bad a few years ago because the unusually cold winter of 2013-14 knocked back their numbers. But I think this rebound is the new normal.

And it's not just a problem for Northeasterners and Midwesterners; Portland, Oregon has been quarantining and desperately trying to eradicate a suburban infestation of Japanese beetles that threatens the Pacific Northwest's huge agricultural sector.

Steadily moving west....


And they've already spread to Europe too: JBs were found in a nature reserve in northern Italy near Milan in 2014, and by last year they had already spread to southern Switzerland. Etymologists believe most of continental Europe, the UK, Ireland, parts of Australia and New Zealand are all suitable habitats for them. The Netherlands has long been dreading their arrival; since the 1950s they've had Japanese beetle traps at the international airport in Amsterdam to monitor for them. English gardeners had better enjoy their national love affair with the rose while they can.

Their invasion is inevitable everywhere, except very dry and extremely cold areas  -- I only hope that someone really smart will figure out how to eradicate them easily and cheaply.  They're invasive pests that shouldn't even be here, and we should target them for total continent-wide eradication, if it can be done without harm to other species or the environment (genetic engineering to render them sterile may be the safest way to do this).

But back to my own (admittedly minor by comparison) problem right now....


My Latest Desperate (Crazy?) Idea


If insecticides, hand removal, grub treatments, milky spore and repellents don't work, what else? Some people have put netting and row covers over fruit trees, berry bushes and grape vines, but I don't want to have nets over each of my rose bushes and on every marigold and dahlia, preventing me from enjoying their beauty. How ugly would that be?

But then I started to wonder: Could I put a very big temporary net over my entire Paradise Garden? That's where most of my roses are and where the JB damage bothers me most. I looked this up online and couldn't find any examples of other gardeners who have done this -- maybe that should tell me something.... I saw pictures of bird netting enclosures, net cages for fruit gardens, and netted cat enclosures ("catios"), but no beetle-netted flower gardens.

I'd need a pretty big net to cover my roughly 24'x27' Paradise Garden. However, I looked around and found beetle net sold in rolls 100' long by 14' wide on Amazon.com.

And how could I support the net over my garden, so that I could still go inside and enjoy my garden? I'd need some structure that's inexpensive, easy to set up and take down, and not hideously ugly. I hit on something that I hope will work:


It's not too ugly, I think, for a temporary structure. It's a 10x20-foot shade canopy or carport frame (it comes with a cloth roof, which I'm not using), that I found at a local home improvement store for only $80.

When the net arrived last Friday, I unrolled all 100 feet of it out in our big yard, and cut it into three sections, each 33 feet long and 14 feet wide. I then sewed those three sections together by hand using nylon twine, making a 42-foot long, 33-foot wide net.

Getting the net over the top of the structure all by myself (family's away camping) wasn't the hard part. After that was done, I spent two days attaching grommets to both sides of the net, so I could attach the net to wires strung in front of my house and along our front fence, so the net won't blow away when it's windy.


It could look worse. I like to think of it as being like a Bedouin tent, in keeping with the Islamic-style Paradise Garden theme.

I have no idea if this is going to work. I've read that JBs don't usually fly along the ground, but swoop down from up high when they smell pheromones emitted by female beetles already eating flowers and foliage. So having a net over the top of this garden may exclude new ones from entering.

There were still a fair number of them already in the garden though, so I've been working overtime with the soapy water bucket to eliminate as many as possible from inside the net. I have noticed a lot fewer of them inside the tent after several days, and I see some on the outside of the net that can't get in. :-)

Hah! You just stay out there!


I'll only have to put up this temporary net for 8-10 weeks, from mid-June until late August each year. Then, I'll pack it away carefully until next June.

I feel a bit bad keeping the butterflies and hummingbirds out (they were so magical!), but they'll have free rein in this garden all during autumn, and I have numerous zinnias, phlox and other nectar-rich plants in other parts of my garden for them to enjoy during mid-summer. If the JB's must have those plants too, it won't bother me so much, as long as I have my safe rose sanctuary in my netted Paradise Garden.

If this works, it could be the best way to protect roses in JB-infested regions:

  • safe for the environment and other insects
  • temporary
  • less expensive than treating large areas of lawn for grubs
  • more aesthetically attractive than netting that places a barrier between us and our plants 
  • and effective!


Welcome inside the Bedouin tent.... I cut a door flap in the front of the net, to make it easier for people (not beetles) to enter.


I'll move a few more roses from other areas into the PG, and I think I'm just going to have to get rid of all my climbing roses, since needing to cut them back drastically each summer pretty much eliminates the entire purpose of climbing roses. I'll probably replace them with clematis or some other flowering vine that blooms before the buggers arrive.

I'll keep you posted about the effectiveness of my crazy big net.

Until then, I hope you have been enjoying lots of lovely summer flowers, not munched by insects, in your own gardens. Thanks for reading my very long post! -Beth


Look, no beetle clusters! Only lovely roses and sweet peas and petunias.
Maybe the net's not so crazy? :-)

10 comments:

  1. I have wondered if removing the plants they favor would mean they to someone else's yard - or would they just get on other plants here? They are awful. Do you follow the Garden Professors blog (blog, and FB site with that name)? One of the top horticulturists on that site says she has begun to believe that the beetle traps are the way to go. While they do attract greater #s of beetles, the beetles go into the traps, not on the plants.

    Here, they go for the roses, Rose of Sharon and hardy hibiscus 'Tie Dye,' not so bad on the other hardy hibiscus. I got so tired of Tie Dye blooms being ruined that I sprayed with a Bayer product, twice. It didn't do a bit of good. And I don't really like using insecticides as I treasure the bees and butterflies. So I am drowning them. It feels like a losing battle. Good luck with your netting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, I'm sorry (but not surprised) to hear that you're having problems with JBs in your lovely gardens too. :-( I suspect that removing roses and other favorites of JBs wouldn't mean that they'd just move on -- they'd likely find other things to eat in your garden -- they are classified as polyphagous, in they eat many, many different kinds of plants (which is why they're so widely destructive). Unless your neighbor has a rose garden, I think your garden will probably still be a target.

      And thanks for the reference -- I had subscribed to The Garden Professors, but didn't really follow them closely. But there was an very interesting article on mass trapping from UMissouri linked on their FB page. I don't know if I'll make large garbage can traps, but it's nice to read that people are coming up with effective ways of reducing JBs. Thanks!

      Thanks for visiting! -Beth

      Delete
    2. Beth, I am happy you found a solution in your Paradise Garden. However, for you with your many gardens, and me with my large one, netting it all would be very difficult. I am looking forward to when they are gone for the year! Getting ready (ordering bulbs) for fall planting - 250 pink tulips, 100 orange tulips, camassia and snowflakes.

      Delete
  2. I just love it, every aspect!! So clever. It much give you such joy and satisfaction. While inside it must be difficult not to laugh out loud. I hope it continues to be a success. Did your family know in advance? They must have been proud of your efforts.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this, It's very interesting Blog...
    I believe there are many who feel the same satisfaction as I read this article!
    I hope you will continue to have such articles to share with everyone!
    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a bad infestation! Your poor plants! I think you've hit upon the best option for your lovely paradise garden. Very ingenious! I didn't realize that they were causing such a problem for agriculture as well, though it makes sense. What invasive bugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in awe of your inventiveness, Beth. What a wonderful solution to your terrible problem. I have JBs here but not so many and just put individual nets over my favorite plants. I do the soap-and-water thing, too. You have created a paradise -- so glad you found a non-toxic way to preserve its beauty. P. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what awful beasts. I have heard of them but never seen them. Your beautiful garden just covered in these horrors. I am impressed at how enterprising you are with your bedouin tent. I hope now you can enjoy your lovely paradise in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This year it seemed everything was against us; I've never had to fight with so many critters, deer eating the hostas, woodchucks digging under the garage and front porch and in the quarry, ground-dwelling yellow jacket nests, raccoons eating the fish in the pond, herons, ack, the list goes on and on, and THEN the Japanese beetles! Ugh. I think you have a great idea there with your tent! At least you can enjoy your flowers and keep the pesty things out. I am home all day and have the time to go out and knock the buggers into soapy water every hour or so, but even so, they were getting ahead of me, too. So discouraging! I love your tent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They have been pretty nasty out here this year, but they seem to have died off already for the most part, except on the roses. I don't grow too many of them, so I don't have too much of a problem on plants that I actually care about.

    The UK will have a lot of growing pains in the next couple of decades. In addition to the threat of JB's coming in, they are having warmer weather as global weather patterns change. I watch Gardeners' World weekly from there and they have had lots of advice for growing in warmer summers and dealing with watering restrictions. Their traditional cottage gardens might be changing as what can handle the heat has to replace some plants!

    ReplyDelete