Monday, November 2, 2015

Corn Harvest

The view from my back upstairs windows in September: Golden corn as far as the eye could see.


Yesterday and today, the look of my property changed drastically, as it often does at this time of year: you know it's late autumn in Iowa when the corn has been harvested. Here are a few shots of Before and After scenes:



By a few days ago, the corn was looking pretty dry,


I always enjoy how the tall corn forms a sort of curtain around the edges of our property. It feels kind of protective and makes our yard seem more private and secluded for a few months.
This morning, the farmer who rents the fields was out working with someone to help him. The farmer "drives" the combine, at left, which harvests the corn (in a route mapped out by GPS for maximum efficiency -- the farmer doesn't even actually have to steer the combine himself; it's all done high-tech by computers and satellites), and his assistant drives a tractor with an attached bin. The combine stores up the harvested corn in its own bin until it gets full, upon which the tractor drives alongside the combine as it empties the corn into the tractor bin, all the while still harvesting more corn as the two vehicles drive along together.

The tractor with attached bin then drives to a large semi trailer sitting near the road (not pictured), empties the bin into that, and returns to receive more corn from the combine, which is still harvesting elsewhere in the field . Here's the tractor driving back for more corn after emptying the bin (it looks a lot like my son's cute toy John Deere tractor from this distance...). It's a very efficient process -- it used to take a farmer weeks to harvest 100 acres of corn. Now this is the smallest field this farmer plants, and he usually leaves it to harvest last of all, as it only takes a day and a half, almost an afterthought.
A closeup of the harvested field. The stubs of the corn stalks will make this field no good for sledding this winter, much to my kids' annoyance. The bean years (alternating with corn years) are much smoother and better for winter play.

No privacy curtain around the gazebo any more. However, the view is better now and stretches for miles across Grant Wood scenes.

I guess we're pretty close to winter now. Sometimes it snows a bit before the farmer gets around to harvesting this field, but we've enjoyed warm weather this fall, so there hasn't been any danger of heavy snow, which could ruin his crop.

Anyway, our property has undergone its yearly autumn transformation, one of the last steps before winter. I hope you're enjoying your own annual transitions from autumn to winter in your gardens too. Thanks for reading! -Beth

16 comments:

  1. I love the first shot! So beautiful! I love the way your gardens are situated. Hard to believe the corn is already down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for your kind comments. Best Regards, -Beth

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, excellent post. Great story line. Many thanks. I remember when my cousin in Cedar Bluffs, Nebraska was so thrilled to get an air-conditioned cab. How times have changed. But your view is timeless. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, Yes, times have certainly changed -- I couldn't believe how high-tech the whole process has become these days. But we all need food (including cattle), and if a farmer only has to spend a day and a half harvesting instead of two weeks, that's an improvement in making human labor more valuable with the assistance of technology. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post -- thanks for reading! -Beth

      Delete
  3. Very interesting post Beth, I loved it. Combining goes here nowadays in the same way, we only don't have these very large fields you have there. I think you live on a wonderful spot of the world with these fantastic views, but I think I said this before.
    Wish you another lovely autumn day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janneke, I'm sure there are many similarities between how the farmers harvest in our two countries -- your fields always look so flat and far-reaching whenever I see photos of Holland, especially the tulips fields, which are so beautiful. I hope your autumn is going well too. Thanks for reading! -Beth

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful place to live, Beth, with magnificent views from your home. Our farm is minute in comparison. I love it when the farmer who rents our fields plants corn, for the beauty and for the privacy that you mention. My husband and I are trying to make a decision about the future of our fields. Our farmer uses chemicals, and there's nobody nearby who does not. If we leave the fields fallow, the multiflora rose, Russian sage, and other invasives will quickly take over. We have a problem.
    We are enjoying Indian summer right now. Happy Autumn. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I'm afraid we only own five acres -- the fields around us are owned by previous owners of this house and rented to a local farmer. But we get to "borrow" the view... :-) I wish luck in deciding what to do with the field you are lucky enough to own. Chemicals aren't great, but they are much safer than ever before, and getting safer all the time (compared to the chemicals that farmers practically used to bathe in during the 1970s, modern chemicals are far safer for humans and the environment). but I'm sure you will make a decision that is right for your family and your land. I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying warmer weather as well -- Happy Autumn to you too! Thanks for visiting, -Beth

      Delete
  5. Love your photos, Beth! And I well know the sense of privacy corn fields provide and when they're gone, we seem so exposed. I'm still on our home farm and rent out our 98 acres to a neighboring farmer, so the sights you showed in this post are very, very familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow country dweller -- thanks for stopping by, Karen! -Beth

      Delete
  6. Wow, who knew tractors were so high tech now? I guess it makes sense when you have so many acres to harvest. The fields of yellow corn have such a beauty to them. Everything here is pretty much turning brown as well before the onset of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Indie, yes, technology makes everything easier for people, even if it seems strange to those who don't use it (like us!). Hope you're enjoying your autumn! -Beth

      Delete
  7. Lovely views from your garden Beth. Combining here is done in August and I have to duck and dive when I am out cycling because the dust gives me terrible asthma. I' m always glad when it has been finished and the fields ploughed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloris, I sympathize with your asthma, although my autumn allergies aren't nearly as bad as your reaction. It certainly can get dusty for a few weeks in the country, although it soon rains and the dust is tamped down. Thanks for reading, -Beth

      Delete
  8. While I cut down parts of my garden, nothing beats your transformation....I remember the corn being harvested when I grew up in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, a fellow midwesterner like you certainly understands the annual autumn passage. Hope you're enjoying a nice fall in your gardens these days. Thanks for stopping by! -Beth

      Delete