Sunday, February 1, 2015

Snowfall


When I went to bed last night, there was hardly any snow on the ground; we've been enjoying a relatively warm late January with little snow. Above is the scene I awoke to this morning, about 6-8" of wet, sticky snow (the kind that photographs well).

I've noticed that snow can be very beautiful when you are able to stay inside and admire it from a warm, cozy house. :-)  Our windbreak looks lovely coated in the heavy snow that fell last night, and it doesn't look like any limbs have broken from the weight (although I'm a bit worried about the small arborvitae in the center of the photo, as it looks bent over by the snow -- I might have to trudge out there tomorrow if it hasn't blown off by then). Interestingly, the net around the trampoline is so coated that it looks like a solid piece of cloth.

Our front yard. Our 9-year-old son helped his father shovel the walks, and had a great deal of fun tunneling a cave into a large drift in the corner of our small fenced yard.


The front porch has some serious drifts on it (but it's still "blue skies" underneath). In the distance you can see the poor visibility as the snow still blows around. A good day to stay inside.

More drifts on the West Terrace.


More windbreak trees. They look particularly magnificent covered with snow, reminding me of a mountain range.

The snow was blowing hard out of the east and coated the window screen on these east kitchen windows so heavily that it's hard to see outside through them. The window planting boxes are piled high.

My husband and kids kept themselves occupied on this snow day in front of the cozy fire that's been burning all day.

Tigger probably had the best idea of all about how to spend the snowy day....

Hope everyone who got this snow will be able to dig themselves out without injury and travel safely if necessary (and avoid travel if not). Our country road doesn't usually get plowed until the second day, as it's a lightly-trafficked, non-essential road, so we may have another snow day to enjoy tomorrow.

Stay warm and cozy! And thanks for reading, -Beth


16 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! We got about six inches last night as well. I just love to see the world flocked in white. Your property looks stunning. Thanks for sharing! Your front porch covered in snow reminds me of my favorite movie scene, when Yuri and Lara arrive at the iced-over cottage at Varykino in Doctor Zhivago. If you haven't seen the movie, you can find that scene on youtube!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Stephen -- I agree, everything looks magical with snow recently fallen. -Beth

      Delete
  2. It looks beautiful at your home, Beth; a winter wonderland. The large conifers in the windbreak look lovely with their snow cover. Monopoly in front of the fire sounds good...and so does a nap on the bed! Take care and enjoy (perhaps) another snow day!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. Warm wishes for another cozy day inside for you too! Thanks for reading, -Beth

      Delete
  3. Fun to look out your windows again! This time I see new patterns on the screens and drifts on the porch and trees sagging with wet snow. Lovely to look at on the screen, but makes me shiver even hundreds and hundreds of miles away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's shivery weather, indeed. Best to stay inside on such a day. I can't wait until we have temps like you're having in California, Jane. Thanks for reading! -Beth

      Delete
  4. It is beautiful, but best looked at through the window. It is very cold here at the moment but no snow. Thank goodness February is a short month and Spring will soon be here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in complete and total agreement, Chloris. Thanks for reading! -Beth

      Delete
  5. Oh it really is so beautiful. I love the way the world sounds quieter when it snows. It is snowing here in Norfolk, UK tonight. Here's hoping that it sticks and we can have some fun in it tomorrow. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I hope you get a fun amount of snow -- just enough to play in, but not so much as to make driving inconvenient. Thanks for visiting! -Beth

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love your cozy room with all the books and the fire! What a perfect place to hang out during a winter storm! I love your blue porch roof, too. I haven't even taken many pictures of all the snow we've had here - when I'm outside, I'm too busy shoveling! Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Indie -- Don't work too hard shoveling, and you stay warm too. Thanks for reading! -Beth

      Delete
  7. Your garden is lovely in snow....we had 2 ft on Monday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief! I'm glad we didn't get that much. Hope you have managed to dig yourself out! -Beth

      Delete
  8. I want snow. Loads and loads of it. And then I want immediate spring once it's melted. Love that blue porch ceiling. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. The snow started to melt today, so I'm happy enough. I know spring won't be here for another six weeks (if I'm lucky), but melting snow still seems like progress. Thanks for reading! :-)

      Delete